Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rob Zombie: "HellBilly Deluxe 2"



Alright so it's my first post and I decided to take on Rob Zombie's 2010 follow up album to his hit filled "HellBilly Deluxe", rightly named, "HellBilly Deluxe 2." Now Rob has some high expectations to live up to after releasing songs such as "Dragula", "Living Dead Girl", "Superbeast" and the others, and he does a somewhat good job of doing so.

From song to song you can expect the Zombie like intro, whether it be a quote or noises to give you a shiver, followed by a catchy beat and the voice we expect coming through the speakers. Now let it be known that I had the privilege of seeing Mr. Zombie live on the Megadeth/Zombie Tour last May, so I had heard some of the songs live before the studio version, and I believe it gives me a bias towards some because of the awesome energy I feel when hearing them again. These include the song "Mars Needs Women", which I believe is one of the coolest tracks Zombie has released, incredibly catchy, as well as "Sick Bubblegum." The lyrics are so wacky and weird, but it works. John 5 (guitarist) did some great work on this album and his rhythms and solos are pretty awesome. Then comes my gripe with the album. Aside from the song "The Man Who Laughs", a 9 minute song featuring a 5-6 minute drum solo, the rest of the song listing is fairly forgettable, but still are nice to listen to when they come on. So expect maybe 5 of the tracks to catch your attention.

Highlights and Scoring

Zombie doesn't quite live up to "HellyBilly Deluxe" expectations but tracks such as "Mars Needs Women" and "Sick Bubblegum" make this album special, and have become my priority Zombie songs to listen to. Gripe: Not enough songs with life to them after the first few playthroughs.



7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment